SVGC are a successful and well respected Defence and Security consultancy. As part of a growth strategy, we are currently looking to recruit a permanent Principal Consultant to join our dynamic and motivated team. Working directly with customer clients, you will require excellent inter-personal skills and a proven track record of project delivery. Good experience within the public sector, especially MoD and Other Government Departments, is vital whilst experience within the private sector is highly desirable. We are looking for a versatile and agile individual who is able to work as part of a team or lead a team as circumstances arise. Our new Principal Consultant will provide a strong business impact through the leading and shaping of business. We are particularly keen to receive applications with a Military Land domain focus, but other domains are welcome to apply and will be considered. Experience of developing and maintaining high level business relations within MoD and Industry, and evidence of successful and high impact projects is essential. SVGC are based south of Warminster, and the role will require regular travel to Bristol and other MoD and Home office locations. Salary for the role is negotiable with an outline range of £45-62k with potential for share options, a company bonus scheme and other benefits. If you are articulate, hard-working, relish a challenge and are comfortable leading a team as well as being led, then contact Colin Purser, Head of Programmes & Delivery, who very much looks forward to talking to you.
The Principal Consultants report to the Managing Director. In particular, he/she will:
- Provide a strong business impact to the company P&L line through the leading and shaping of business in your specific domain.
- Develop and maintain high-level business relations and high-impact projects within your specific domain and more widely as required.
- Project manage and lead teams of core staff, partners and associates as necessary.
- Deliver and demonstrate thought leadership in your domain
- Maintain close working relationships with key stakeholders and key customer accounts
- Working in close collaboration with the team and with partner organisations as a whole support the prospect identification and development activities within and wider of your specific domain expertise as required.
- Work with the analytical team to champion your domain for model development and utilisation to support your consulting practice.
- Work with the analytical team to ensure any model development information which can be extracted from the projects you engage with is captured and lodged to support current or future model development.
- Working as the domain lead in your area, engaging with and learning from / mentoring, reviewing and supporting associates and all members of staff.
- Working across the business, provide support as required and in doing so, make recommendations for improvements in efficiency of practice.
- Consider how your domain may shift in coming years and using this knowledge, develop and implement a contextually valid engagement and business growth strategy
- Identification and translation of opportunities including bid leadership and successful execution;
- Identification and pro-active beneficial engagement at Domain specific events;
- Contribution to senior management and review meetings as applicable and appropriate.
Relevant Competencies (Level 4 – Principal Consultant)
- Ensures relevant issues relating to their activity/policy area are effectively fed into strategy and big picture considerations
- Bring together views and perspectives of stakeholders to gain a wider picture of the landscape surrounding activities and policies
- Effectively capture, utilise and share customer insight and views from a diverse range of stakeholders to ensure better practice and delivery
- Encourage and recognise a culture of initiative and innovation focused on adding value – give people space and praise for creativity
- Provide effective and constructive challenge to senior management on change proposals which will affect own business area
- Analyse and evaluate data from various sources to identify pros and cons and identify risks in order to make well considered decisions
- Identify the main issues in complex problems, clarify understanding or stakeholder expectations, to seek best option
- Clarify strategies and plans, communicate purpose and direction with clarity and enthusiasm
- Be visible to staff and stakeholders and regularly undertake activities to engage and build trust with people involved in area of work
- Lead by example, communicate in a truthful, straightforward manner with integrity, impartiality and promoting a working environment that supports the company values and code
- Demonstrate genuine care for staff and others, is approachable and build a strong interpersonal relationships
- Actively build and maintain a network of colleagues and contacts to achieve progress on objectives and shared interests
- Actively involve partners to deliver a business outcome through collaboration that achieves better results
- Establish and drive intra and inter team discussions to learn from experience and adapt organisational processes and plans
- Identify capability requirements needed to deliver future team objectives and support teams to succeed in delivering to meet those needs
- Prioritise and role model continuous self learning and development, including leadership, management and people skills
- Understand the commercial drivers that will influence organisations and the levers that can be used in negotiating/influencing contractual arrangements
- Question and challenge the value being delivered through commercial arrangements with delivery partners
- Achieve the best return on investment and deliver more for less on specific budgets by managing resources and maximising the use of assets
- Weigh up priority and benefits of different actions and activities to consider how to achieve cost effective outcomes
- Establish how the business area compares to customer service expectations and industry best practice and identify necessary improvements in plans
- Ensure the service offer thoroughly considers customers’ needs and a broad range of available methods to meet this, including new technology where relevant
- Adopt clear processes and standards for managing performance at all levels
- Maintain effective performance in difficult and challenging circumstances, encouraging others to do the same